The Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center (APALRC) located in Washington, D.C. has an immediate opening for a Communications/Outreach Coordinator.
The APALRC is a non-profit legal services organization dedicated to advancing the legal and civil rights of Asian Pacific Islanders in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia through legal services, education, and advocacy. The mission of the APALRC is to provide linguistically accessible and culturally appropriate legal services to low-income Asian Pacific Islander immigrants to ensure their access to government services and the legal system to protect and enforce their rights and to seek full participation in American society. The APALRC provides legal services in a wide range of legal issues including abuse prevention, employment, family, housing, immigration, public assistance and community development matters.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- 1-3 years communications and/or outreach experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to draft clear written content for use on website, social media and print materials.
- Proficient in using social media including Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. Experience with email marketing platforms such as Constant Contact.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy.
- Experience working with immigrant communities, low-income individuals and those with limited English proficiency strongly preferred.
- Experience working with Asian immigrant communities preferred but not required.
- Fluency in an Asian language, particularly Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, or Vietnamese strongly preferred.
Tasks & Duties:
- Community Outreach
- Responsible for assisting the executive director with planning and executing outreach activities to educate the Asian/Pacific Islander immigrant community about the APALRC’s legal services program.
- Attend various virtual and in-person outreach events in metropolitan-DC to promote the APALRC’s legal services program.
- Build on existing community relationships and develop new ones with other community-based organizations that serve the Asian/Pacific Islander immigrant community.
- Assist the APALRC legal staff in planning innovative community education and engagement activities to inform the API immigrant community of their legal rights.
- Evening and weekend hours required as needed to participate in community outreach events.
- Communications Engagement
- Assist the executive director and legal staff with the design, creation and distribution of APALRC program and project materials, including multilingual brochures, flyers, e-newsletters, and PowerPoint presentations to increase client, volunteer and donor engagement.
- Manage coordination, design, content development and implementation for APALRC’s website and social media platforms.
- Assist the executive director in coordinating client and volunteer stories to highlight the impact of the APALRC’s legal services program.
Salary and Benefits: The position will be paid in accordance with the APALRC’s salary scale. The APALRC offers a generous health and fringe benefits package.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and work experience, along with a résumé and three professional references to Naznin Saifi at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications/Outreach Coordinator Position” in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries, please.
APALRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.