The APALRC is looking for an energetic attorney who is committed to advancing social justice through direct legal assistance, legal education and systemic advocacy. Working under the supervision of the Executive Director, the attorney will provide legal assistance to low-income Asian Americans with limited English proficiency in Maryland. The Staff Attorney will specialize in family and immigration law practice, and will also be expected to develop knowledge in a range of other substantive legal areas. The attorney will work with other members of the legal team to implement the overall legal services program of the APALRC.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 0-3 years of legal experience, preferably with a background in immigration and/or family law.
- Licensed to practice law in Maryland required. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to sit for the next scheduled bar examination following date of employment.
- Licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia and/or Virginia; or able to waive into the District of Columbia or Virginia Bar strongly preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy
- Experience working with immigrants, low-income individuals and those with limited English proficiency strongly preferred.
- Experience working with Asian immigrant communities preferred but not required
- Fluency in an Asian language, particularly Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Hindi or Urdu strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits: The attorney will be paid in accordance with the APALRC’s attorney salary scale. The APALRC offers a generous health and fringe benefits package.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and work experience, along with a résumé, brief writing sample (5-10 pages), and three professional references to Naznin Saifi at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center, 1627 K Street, NW, Suite 610, Washington, DC 20006. No telephone inquiries, please.
APALRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.