The Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center (APALRC) located in Washington, D.C. has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney for its Stop Anti-Asian Hate campaign.
The APALRC is a non-profit legal services organization dedicated to advancing the legal and civil rights of Asian Pacific Islanders in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia through legal services, education, and advocacy. The mission of the APALRC is to provide linguistically accessible and culturally appropriate legal services to low-income Asian Pacific Islander immigrants to ensure their access to government services and the legal system to protect and enforce their rights and to seek full participation in American society. The APALRC provides legal services in a wide range of legal issues including abuse prevention, employment, family, housing, immigration, public assistance and community development matters.
- Licensed to practice law in DC, Maryland and/or Virginia required. Out-of-State attorneys must be able to waive into the DC, Maryland or Virginia bar and/or available to sit for the next scheduled bar examination following date of employment.
- 3-5 years of legal experience, preferably with a background in civil rights and crime victim rights.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy.
- Experience working with the immigrant community, low-income individuals and those with limited English proficiency strongly preferred.
- Experience working with Asian immigrant communities preferred but not required.
- Fluency in an Asian language, particularly Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, or Vietnamese strongly preferred.
Tasks & Duties:
- Provide legal advice and direct representation services to metropolitan-DC’s Asian American Pacific Islander community who are victims of anti-Asian hate.
- Conduct outreach to promote the APALRC’s Anti-Asian Hate campaign, including working with the APALRC’s Communications/Outreach Coordinator to create contact for its website and social media on anti-Asian hate.
- Conduct Know Your Rights seminars on recognizing and combatting anti-Asian hate.
- Monitor APALRC’s dedicated helpline for individuals experiencing anti-Asian hate.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with private attorneys to promote pro bono opportunities.
- Maintain partnerships with local government, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations and other entities to promote the APALRC’s anti-Asian hate campaign.
- Supervise law student interns, including assigning tasks and providing student feedback.
- Create and maintain a database and/or resource directory of social, legal and mental health providers for victims of anti-Asian hate.
Salary and Benefits: The attorney will be paid in accordance with the APALRC’s attorney salary scale. The salary for an attorney with 3 years of experience is $58,750. The APALRC offers a generous health and fringe benefits package.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and work experience, along with a résumé, brief writing sample (5-10 pages), and three professional references to Naznin Saifi at email@example.com. Please put “Anti-Asian Hate Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries, please.
APALRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.