The Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center (APALRC) located in Washington, D.C. has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney for its Maryland practice.
The APALRC is a non-profit legal services organization dedicated to advancing the legal and civil rights of Asian Pacific Islanders in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia through legal services, education, and advocacy. The mission of the APALRC is to provide linguistically accessible and culturally appropriate legal services to low-income Asian Pacific Islander immigrants to ensure their access to government services and the legal system to protect and enforce their rights and to seek full participation in American society. The APALRC provides legal services in a wide range of legal issues including abuse prevention, employment, family, housing, immigration, public assistance and community development matters.
- Licensed to practice law in Maryland required. Out-of-State attorneys must be able to waive into the Maryland bar and/or available to sit for the next scheduled bar examination following date of employment.
- 1-3 years of legal experience, preferably with a background in family law.
- Licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia and/or Virginia, or able to waive into the District of Columbia or Virginia Bar strongly preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy.
- Experience working with immigrant communities, low-income individuals and those with limited English proficiency strongly preferred.
- Experience working with Asian immigrant communities preferred but not required.
- Fluency in an Asian language, particularly Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, or Vietnamese strongly preferred.
Tasks & Duties:
- Provide legal advice and direct representation services to Maryland residents primarily in the areas of family law, with a particular focus on assisting survivors of domestic violence.
- Supervise law student interns, including assigning tasks and providing student feedback.
- Conduct virtual and/or walk-in intake sessions at community-based organizations in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Conduct Know Your Rights seminars on legal topics relevant to the Asian immigrant community.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with private attorneys to promote pro bono opportunities.
- Maintain partnerships with local government, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations and other entities in Maryland to promote the APALRC and its legal services.
- Participate in outreach events to promote the APALRC and its legal services.
Salary and Benefits: The attorney will be paid in accordance with the APALRC’s attorney salary scale. The APALRC offers a generous health and fringe benefits package.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and work experience, along with a résumé, brief writing sample (5-10 pages), and three professional references to Naznin Saifi at email@example.com. Please put “Maryland Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries, please.
APALRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.